The Health Benefits of Walking
Posted on 05/06/2017 at 12:00 AM by Troy Cummings
As the weather warms, the appeal to the outdoors grows. The warm weather leads to the opportunity to perform more outdoor physical activities. One great activity that can be accomplished by most with little to no equipment or cost is walking. So, get out there, one small step can lead to many, below you will find some great reasons why you should walk and some great apps for your phone to make the journey more rewarding.
- Walking has many great benefits, it is great for our hearts. It can lower your blood pressure, lower your overall cholesterol and lower blood sugar.
- Walking can improve brain function by increased alertness and thinking.
- Walking has been shown to reduce pain by the movement of muscles and joints at a moderate level, the increased blood flow will decrease muscle stiffness and soreness.
- Walking has been shown to increase lung capacity which in turn leads to better breathing.
- Walking leads to endorphin release and reduced stress.
The research, presented at the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Congress, followed 69 people between the ages of 30 and 60. Those who engaged in daily moderate exercise, such as a brisk walk experienced anti-aging benefits that could add an additional three to seven years to your life.
There are some great apps for your phone that are easy to add and are fun to use:
This app allows you to earn up to 25 cents per mile while tracking your steps for great charities of your choice such as Wounded Warrior, ASPCA, American Diabetes Association and more.
Coach Jason, www.RollingStrong.com